pasha of Buda began building the Király Baths in 1565 just inside what was
then the Castle gates. He wanted to make sure that, in the event of a siege
of Buda, the Turks could still bathe. The Király remains one of the most
striking and atmospheric of the baths; beneath its cupola lie several small
pools. The name of the spa was given by the König family who owned the
building from 1796. The impressive baths is a rare survival of Turkish
times in Hungary and today as a listed building it represents an early
Ottoman baths palace in its original grandeur. The four pools, including
the main with a fantastic skylit dome date from 1570. It is supplied with
thermal water piped from the Lukács Baths.
The wings of the Király Bath in Fõ Street were also
added in the last Century, but when approaching from Ganz Street one can
see the characteristic exterior of the Turkish dome which covers the basin.
(Men and women can visit the bath on alternating days).